Saturday, May 3, 2008

Microwave Granola

I make about 5 batches of this every few weeks. It is a staple at our house. We like it much better than store-bought cereal and you can use food storage to make it. If you have a big enough pan, you can double the batch. I just extend cooking times by a minute or so in each place to accommodate. I love that this is made in the microwave, so it is faster than the oven. It is also versatile. I add extra of the things I like and skip it if I don't like it.

3 c. oats (quick or old-fashioned)
1/3 c. wheat germ
1/3 c. shredded coconut
1/3 c. sesame seeds (I actually skip these, my sister says flax seeds are good in it)
1/3 c. chopped nuts (I use pecans because I have them from my parents, but walnuts are good and I have also used either of these with almonds)
1/3 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 c. oil or melted butter or margarine
1/4 c. honey
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. raisins

1. Place oats in ungreased 2 qt. dish. Cook in microwave on full power for 2 1/2 minutes (3 if double-batch).
2. Add wheat germ, coconut, sesame seeds, nuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon to oats. Stir to blend.
3. Add oil, honey, and vanilla to dry ingredients. Toss lightly until coated. Cook in microwave on level 7 for about 6 minutes, stirring twice (I do 3 3-minute cookings for double)
4. Add raisins. Cook on full power for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Press granola firmly against bottom of dish. Cool. Break into pieces and store in tightly covered container. (I usually do the 2 minutes or sometimes 3. I like my granola fully dried out and toasted. You do have to watch out for hot spots in the middle, cause it can burn.)

No comments: